With the weather getting warmer (in most places) and the outdoor activities resuming, it is important now, more than ever to stay hydrated. Hydration is a key factor in determining how you feel on a day to day basis and how you perform in anything you do. With temperatures rising, it is important to recognize that the increase in sweat can quickly dehydrate your body.
Here are ten reasons (though there are more) to drink water:
- Improves Skin Health & Beauty: Drinking water keeps the skin from becoming dehydrated. Dehydrated skin causes wrinkles. Think of water as a free anti-aging serum!
- Removes Toxins: Water flushes out toxins from the body.
- Promotes Weight Loss: Water is known to be a natural appetite suppressant. By drinking water, it reduces food intake, decreases appetite, and raises your metabolism.
- Strengthens Your Immune System: Drinking water boosts your immune system and makes it less likely for you to get sick.
- Boosts Performance During Exercise: Water helps your body and muscles get the most out of your work-out.
- Aids In Digestion: Water is essential in digesting food and preventing constipation.
- Reduces Headaches: Dehydration is a leading cause of headaches. By staying hydrated, you can reduce the risk of getting headaches.
- Optimizes Brain Function: The brain is 73% water, by keeping it hydrated, you increase your focus, concentrate, and stay alert.
- Provides Energy: Drinking a glass of water right when you wake up, can help you wake up and stay sharp throughout the day.
- Improves Heart Health: Blood is made up mostly of water. Keeping the blood hydrated helps it pump smoothly around the heart and through the body.
Additionally, considering water is free at most restaurants, you can save a lot of money by opting to drink water over soda or tea.
If you’re not big on drinking water, try adding some flavor to it! You can add lemon, lime, and orange, or in the summer, try adding cucumber or watermelon for a refreshing drink.
By staying hydrated and drinking at least 64oz of water a day, you will feel amazing. Other than feeling great, you will know you are hydrated, by the color of your urine. If your urine is anything other than light, pale yellow or clear, drink up!
Whether at home, at the gym, at work, or anywhere else, always have a water bottle with you and keep refilling it!