Summer is coming and what better time than now for a detox to kick start your nutrition goals. While the body naturally detoxes through the liver, a cleanse can help reduce sugar cravings and reset. A detox can be very beneficial if you are feeling sluggish or in a rut and can help you drop weight quickly. There are several different types of cleanses but all are meant to improve digestion, increase mental clarity, remove metabolic waste and accumulated environmental toxins from the cells of the body.
During a typical cleanse, you do not eat any solid food. Every cleanse is different, but most cleanses require you to drink water mixed with a mixed in powder or take pills. FitKing offers different cleanses focused on different goals and requiring various levels of food intake.
There are important factors to consider while doing a cleanse.
- Cleanses drastically interfere with calorie intake. It is very important to scale back workouts during a cleanse to keep from becoming dizzy and lightheaded.
- If you are on any medications, it is important to consult a doctor before starting a cleanse or detox, as certain supplements can interact differently with certain medicines.
- Prepare your body for the detox by drinking a lot of water, reducing sugar intake, and eating whole foods. This will help your body adjust to the cleanse much smoother.
- It is important to know your “why” for detoxing. This can help you choose which detoxing supplement may be best for you.
- Do your research. Make sure you know what you are putting in your body and the commitment the cleanse will take.
After doing a cleanse, it is extremely important to introduce different foods back slowly to keep from experiencing the same dragging feelings you were having before the cleanse. Most food-free cleanses will recommend starting back with just fruits and vegetables after the cleanse. It is important to try to get protein and fiber from the vegetables. Vegetables high in protein include spinach, broccoli, and asparagus. After the first two or three days, you can begin adding in lean proteins like eggs, white meat chicken, and fish. Sticking to whole foods and non-processed foods will help your body maintain the state it was in during the cleanse.
FitKing offers several different options for detoxing and cleansing.